Getting better sleep over Christmas
2020 comes with a whole new level of worry and with all the restrictions this year, Christmas may not be the celebration that we all usually enjoy. So getting a good night’s sleep over this festive period is priority.
With money worries, work stress, and the extra indulgences we partake in, all takes a toll on our bodies. Your brain starts to go into overdrive and this tends to be just as your head hits the pillow. “Have I got enough food?, have I got all the presents?” these are the common worries going through everyone’s minds.
ALL IN ONE BEDS
This year there will be added pressure due the current pandemic. Try keeping as healthy as you can, make the most of exercise to help clear the mind and boost energy levels. Enjoy all the festive treats in moderation especially before bed as this may increase your sugar levels too much to sleep.
Like many of us, we enjoy a festive tipple, but this can have a negative impact on our sleep. Alcohol affects the deepest part of our sleep pattern meaning your body doesn’t rest as it should during sleep.
Finding techniques that work for you-
- Lavender has a natural calming, relaxing affect. Spray some on your bed sheets this helps naturally reduce your heart rate and breathing in preparation for sleeping.
- Make sure your bedroom is at a comfortable temperature. The average is 18 degrees.
- Try to avoid napping during the day.
- Don’t lay in. Keep to a routine of getting up at the same time.
- Don’t eat or drink late.
- If you wake during the night and struggle to go back to sleep. Go to a different room try something light like reading. Don’t do anything that is too involving.
Most importantly, don’t worry about not sleeping. You will eventually and you will survive on a few hours. Enjoy the festivities and make the most of your time.